Executive Sous Chef
Food and Beverage
Lake Morey Resort is looking for experienced culinary artists to join our food and beverage management team. The LMR kitchen serves several outlets, including the Lakeside Dining Room, Steamboat Lounge, Country Club Grill and large convention banquets. Alongside other members of a culinary management team, Chefs create and maintain menus that satisfy guests, oversee all activity in the back of house, front of house, train personnel, oversee product purchasing, control inventory, manage culinary budget and uphold sanitation and service standards.
- Directs and oversees all aspects of the organization's food and beverage planning and service, including; menu planning, ordering, costs, preparation and presentation of food and drinks, and adherence to quality and safety standards, as well as staff management, guest interactions, office administration duties, vendor communications and labor costs.
- Ensure that operational standards are met, in regard to sanitation codes and laws, food storage, and loss prevention. Make periodic and regular inspections to observe quality of food preparation and service, food appearance and cleanliness and sanitation of production and service areas, equipment and employee appearance.
- Develop recipes and portion specifications in accordance with consumer tastes, nutritional needs, product specifications, ease of preparation and established procedures and budgetary constraints.
- Coordinates with Sales to organize and execute Banquet Event Orders for conferences, events and weddings, including banquet menus and pricing.
- Identify opportunities to promote food and beverage products, including specials, promotions, events and outlet utilization.
- Prepare operational reports and analyses, setting forth progress and adverse trends and make appropriate recommendations to ensure profitability and growth.
- Resolve complaints and issues arising from operations and requiring coordination with other departments with a hospitable and accommodating approach, seeking a resolution that is timely and appropriate, following up to ensure guest expectations are met.
- Coordinate all hiring and training activities for kitchen and service employees, including the identification of training needs and implementation of programs to address and document these deficiencies.
- Oversee the management of staff and may address issues that lower levels of management are unable to resolve, following documentation, action plans and follow up.
- Support food and beverage operations by performing all positions within the department as needed to ensure timely and hospitable experiences to guests, including but not limited to hosting, running, serving, bartending, dishwashing, food prep and cooking.
- Provide excellent communication with the ability to multitask, think quickly when under pressure and seek creative solutions to problems.
- Prepares or directs preparation of food served using established production procedures and systems.
- Determines amount and type of food and supplies required using production systems.
- Ensures availability of supplies and food or approved substitutions in adequate time for preparation.
- Sets steam table; serves or ensures proper serving of food for tray line or dining room.
- Complies with established sanitation standards, personal hygiene and health standards. Observes proper food preparation and handling techniques.
- Stores food properly and safely, marking the date and item.
- Reports necessary equipment repair and maintenance to supervisor.
- Correctly prepares all food served following standard recipes and special diet orders.
- Plans food production to coordinate with meal serving hours so that excellence, quality, temperature and appearance of food are preserved.
- Apportions food for serving.
- Maintains daily production records.
- Keeps work area neat and clean at all times; cleans and maintains equipment used in food preparation.
- Completes food temperature checks before service.
- Must be able to succeed in a high volume, fast-paced environment, have a demonstrated ability to work on a team, and must be able to stand for extended periods of time. Requires ability to lift 30 to 50 lbs. Timeliness and reliability are essential, as is availability to work weekends. Prior experience required.
- At least four years of progressive experience in high-volume food production or catering, or an equivalent combination of relevant education and/or experience, with 2+ years of managerial experience.